Friday, June 14, 2013

Arrival and First day

I have finally arrived in Taichung 台中! It was a long flight that consisted of watching movies and trying to sleep… and I sat by a nice American couple that was going to Bangkok. When flying internationally I did not know what to expect however, was told to move around and drink lots of water so my feet wouldn't swell, since I had an isle seat the moving wouldn't be so bad. Once in Minneapolis  passengers were already lining up to board the plane when I got to my gate. So I was off flying ready for what was to come next. I flew into Japan and getting off the plane I could feel the humidity nothing like Minnesota  weather. 


Passengers going on to connecting flights had to go through security again which wasn't as bad because I had already gone through once already. Once through security I had to find my next gate, looking for the screens that had the gate information on it. Once I found the screens it had the gates listed in Japanese then Chinese then finally English, but looking at the screen right to begin with it was intimidating since I didn't know if it was going to be in English too. But since all the signs are in English as well as Japanese it was easy to find my gate just as they were doing the pre-boarding instructions. Waiting at the Japanese airport really made leaving the country real versus the morning I left it just felt like my family and I were shopping not actually sending me off. Standing and waiting to board the plane it felt like I was in a dream but seeing as I was one of few white Americans waiting to board the plane it began to set in that I was leaving. 

Once air bound for Taipei  it was more movie watching and trying to get at least some sleep since I didn't sleep on the long 12 hour flight. But once in Taiwan I followed the line of people to begin to enter the country. Once I was cleared to enter now it was time to find the baggage claim, which all signs were in Chinese and in English to it wasn't that hard to find. Waiting for my luggage with everyone else that was on this 2 deck plane was simple to navigate. Now that I found my luggage next was to find the driver to take me to the apartment that I was staying at which wasn't as hard as I would have thought since he held up a sign with my name on it just like in the movies. I didn't know what to expect when meeting him but once I did I found that he was very helpful even though he didn't speak any English. Now I was trying really hard to remember what I had learned in Chinese to make conversation with him but couldn't since I was so tired from the plane ride. Once in the car I was out until I got to Taichung and then the driver was trying to find where Lana was and the apartment building that I would now be living in. Once out of the air conditioned car my glasses fogged up instantly because of how hot and humid it was. I have heard about places with high humidity but was not expecting it. Now it was time to fill out paperwork and try to get some sleep. Below is the view from my room on a clear day.

The next day which was Friday I needed to get a bus card so we didn’t have to walk but everyone speaks Chinese so fast it was hard to understand luckily I had Lana to help! Then we went out for lunch at Finga’s which is an American type restaurant and had a light lunch and walked around that part of Taichung. We then had to head back because we were meeting another girl Jordyn from the same university that I went to that was in Taiwan for supper at a famous dumpling place called Din Tai Fung which is really famous and originated in Taichung. Then we headed to the night market to experience a lot of people in a few block radius where I needed to buy an umbrella because it was down poring. It’s funny that we had never met before but were in the same foreign country.


Saturday I needed some essentials for my room so after Lana got back from the doctor with a diagnosis of acute tonsillitis we went to have a noodle dish and dumpling that would make her feel better. Then we went to buy a garbage can, garbage bags and of course more water. I never experienced humidity as it is here once I leave the comfort of my air condition room and take a couple steps I am already sweating but it is still awesome that I am finally hear after talking about going for so long. But it has been fun so far and am excited to see what we will be doing next.

No comments:

Post a Comment